Friday, April 3, 2009

There are the people who love dogs and the people who are just kind-hearted. I'm used to people telling me they want to take ki'ipu home with them. And I don't blame them. When he's behaving, this guy can melt the coldest of souls. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have 15 people a day stopping us to ask about our doggie.
It's the one guy who is downright genuine though, that you remember.
We were walking behind Coolidge Corner. A man who appeared to be on the lower end of the financial spectrum caught a glimpse of the keepster as he was feeding the meter.
He shrieked with excitement, "Hold on, you have to wait one second. Oh my goodness."
"Okay!?! I thought. He ran to his car, which was a late 70s rust-colored beater of an Oldsmobile. His back seat disorderly and covered with trash, he leaned back into a box of 'big dog' bones and pulled one out. "My daughter would absolutely love this dog," he said as he handed Ki'ipu a bone the size of half his body. The bone, of the Milkbone brand, is not one I'd choose for the dog.
I believe 'pretentious' would be how people would describe us when it comes to our dog and the food we give him. Truth is, his food is probably more expensive than ours.
Anyway, instead of realizing immediately how genuinely nice this guy was, i was busy thinking about how i probably wouldn't ever give the bone to ki'ipu. He did end up getting it a few weeks later and what I got was a reminder of sorts that nice people are out there, sometimes it's our own fault because we aren't looking.
Also, I could probably learn a few things from that dude about giving.

No comments: