Thursday, April 30, 2009

ki'ipu the ratter

Training is coming along very well. But recently I've run into a bit of an issue. The Irish Jack Russell was bred to hunt and kill mice and rats. On two consecutive nights last week, I watched as a mouse scurried across my living room floor. The problem: Ki'ipu just sat in his chair half asleep. I'm pretty sure he never even noticed it. I tried to wake him up by talking excitedly. It didn't work. I watched the mouse run into and out of two closets, so i tried to get Ki'ipu on its scent. Nothing.

It was right around midnight both nights. I understand the mouse thing is going to happen when you live in the city, especially next to train tracks the MBTA is doing work on. The problem is, I can't really put out mouse traps except in the kitchen. Ki'ipu is sure to get into them. He's not allowed in the kitchen, so I'm not as worried about that.

So if i can't lay mouse traps and my dog won't do his job, I'm left with a mouse problem, something I don't want to have to deal with.

No comments: