Tuesday, July 8, 2008

i've resorted to bragging about a meaningless softball game...

the train seemed a viable option today since i'm being attacked by back spasms...
it all started last night, one night into what's shaping up to be a typical less-than-exciting week.
i've gotten good at feigning excitement. Take for instance the time I saw Craig T Nelson in front of 15 Beacon while walking home. Honestly, who cares... but my enthusiasm and intensity may be just enough to convince people (including myself) that just maybe, i live an exciting life.
The truth is, I don't really... and I don't mind.

Co-ed, hardly competitive softball has become a highlight of my week. At 5'6", 155lbs, I'm the last person you'd expect to see hitting clean-up... unless you know our league. We go, we drink, we have fun and sometimes we even win. You'd understand if you've ever played on a sloped field with 50-foot trees growing in the outfield. if you hit the tree, the ball's in play, and if you're behind the tree trying to play the ball and you gun it toward third but instead hit a branch, expect the runner to keep going... i found out the hard way last night. There is a fence, but speed still kills... if you're fast, it's not that hard to hit an in-the-park homerun. last night, i had a nice collision with the shortstop (which is why i'm hurting) but i stayed in the game and I hit a walk-off single. In the scheme of life, it doesn't matter for crap. It's not going to change the world, it won't pay my bills, hell, i pay to play. But in the time I'm there, I have fun and the few moments after that hit, I kind of felt like a hero... on a very artificial level. I'm not the guy who thinks he's awesome because he can hit a slowly-tossed sphere over a fence into traffic. I am the guy who goes overboard. So when i brag after the fact, it's not that i think i'm great (trust me, i don't), it's just me offering a glimpse into a part of my life i find most exciting and get the most enjoyment from. You're welcome!

No comments: